THE MAN WHO INSPIRED CAM TO WRITE IN 1972
...from our book, DISABLED? HELL NO! I'M A SIT-DOWN COMIC
Strangely enough, the early writing urge came from radio when I was in seventh grade. CHED was an AM giant playing Top 40 music. But it also featured a former Journal reporter named Eddie Keen serving as an editorialist who, by and large, spoke for the little guy in Edmonton. Eddie had two editorials a day, one running at 7:00 a.m. and again at 8:00, the other at noon and 5:30 p.m. Eddie’s words caught my ear and I listened to him religiously. Eventually, I got up the nerve to call him when I got home from school and asked him to mail me a copy of an editorial I espe- cially liked. When it came, I studied it, looking at the words Eddie used, the way he constructed his sentences and thoughts.
Eddie became my hero, to the point where I decided I could start writing my own editorials after I did my homework in the evening. I wrote two a day—just like Eddie. Each editorial was a
Each editorial was a page of copy, double-spaced. I wrote in all capital letters and used three dots in between periods—just like Eddie. (I later found out the three dots is a common practice in broadcast copy, telling announcers where to pause before speaking the next sentence.)
I took both editorials to school in the morning. Ben Flescher, ever encouraging, said we could post them on the wall outside our classroom, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon.
It certainly made me write every day. It also made me read the newspaper every day to look for stories and form an opinion.
One of Dad’s favourite sayings was “it’s the truth that hurts,” so that’s what I called the editorial series. I wrote them for a few months before another opportunity presented itself.
How Tait Talk became
MEET THE CREW!
THE CREW'S THEME SONG
- ITEM CLOSED – FINAL BID $400.00 – DINNER FOR 2, OILERS HALL OF FAME ROOM VISIT, AND OILER TICKETS from Tom Anselmi 6 days ago
- A MESSAGE FROM Ron MacLean 1 week ago
- OUR CHALLENGE AS A SOCIETY FROM THE BILL PETERS STORY 3 weeks ago
- WELCOME TO CAM’S CREW! HERE’S HOW IT WORKS! 4 weeks ago
- WHAT DO YOU THINK OF A DATS DRIVER WHO —–? The Crew’s Barrie Harrison 1 month ago
- A CHERRY TUNE from ANDREAS SCHWABE 1 month ago
- CAM ‘N EGGS – PATIENCE 1 month ago
- ANDREAS SCHAWBE JOINS THE CREW: A SONG FOR DON CHERRY 1 month ago
- DON CHERRY ON CAM ‘N EGGS 1 month ago
- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, MY LOVE 1 month ago
- LLOYD LEWIS JOINS CAM’S CREW WITH A NOV. 11 MESSAGE 1 month ago
- nic111 1 month ago
- TWO GREAT CHALLENGES FROM THE CREW’S EILEEN BELL 1 month ago
- What are good neighbours for anyway? Cam and his computer voice 1 month ago
- WHY WEDNESDAY WITH RYAN JESPERSEN 1 month ago
- WHY WEDNESDAY WITH SEAN BURKE 1 month ago
- CAM ‘N EGGS – NOV. 6 – THREE THINGS FOR YOUR DAY 1 month ago
- CAM ‘N EGGS – NOV 6 – GRUDGES, LEADERSHIP, AND A MORNING GIGGLE 1 month ago
- AN EDMONTON BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR RICK CAMPBELL? BRYN GRIFFITHS WITH MUSIC FROM PHIL COLLINS 1 month ago
- AN EDMONTON BIRTHDAY GIFT FROM EDMONTON FOR RICK CAMPBELL? CREW MEMBER BRYN GRIFFITHS WITH MUSIC FROM PHIL COLLINS 1 month ago
- CAM N EGGS FOR NOV. 5 1 month ago
- RESPECT AND SAFETY. NOT TEXTING AND DRIVING. 2 months ago
- THOUGHTS FROM ELECTION NIGHT WITH MUSIC 2 months ago
- Federal election poses concerning questions, rather than hope 2 months ago
- SEAN BURKE EXPLAINS WHY I WENT SHOPPING ON Election Day 2 months ago
- WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR ON ELECTION DAY — CAM’S ON THE CREW 2 months ago
- Nic Davis is on The Crew about Dave’s Drive 2 months ago
- Crew Member Nic Davis shares Dave’s Drive 2 months ago
- Dave’s Drive from Crew Member Nic Davis 2 months ago
- thank you, david foster 2 months ago
- The history of Cam’s Crew 2 months ago
- A message about 11 2 months ago
- How Tait Talk became Cam’s Crew 2 months ago
- A STORY FROM 1986 ABOUT … TED GREEN 2 months ago
- TED GREEN, RIP 2 months ago
- ted green: the one and only – stan ravndahl 2 months ago
- PODCAST NO. 2: AL STAFFORD SHARES CAM’S FAVOURITE ELTON JOHN SONG 3 months ago
- CAM’S CREW WITH SEAN BURKE 3 months ago
- AN ALARMING, BUT, FUNNY TALE. CAM’S ON THE CREW 4 months ago
- HANG ON! SEAN BURKE FROM THE BREEZE JOINS THE CREW 4 months ago
- ROB CHRISTIE IS ON THE THURSDAY CREW 4 months ago
- RYAN JESPERSEN MAKES HIS DEBUT ON THE CREW 4 months ago
- A REQUEST FOR MAYOR DON IVESON FROM DARYL HOOKE ON CAM’S CREW 4 months ago
- A REQUEST TO EDMONTON MAYOR DON IVESON FROM DARYL HOOKE ON CAM’S CREW 4 months ago
- ROBIN BROWNLEE ON CAM’S CREW 4 months ago
- cam’s question for monday 4 months ago
- ROB CHRISTIE ON CAM’S CREW (2 OF 2) 4 months ago
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!